Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Nurture over Nature...

Hi Max!

You are a baby of beauty, my little boy. :) You are playing with rattles. You are becoming more of a little human every day. It's incredible to watch. Being self-analytical, it's been interesting to watch my progression as a human as well. I am more sentimental, emotional (coming from a 0 to a 3 or 4), and outwardly loving (key word is outwardly). It's a good feeling. For example, you were recently diagnosed with plagiocephaly (flat head syndrome). 

Plagiocephaly is caused by too many nights sleeping on the same spot. It causes a flat spot on the back of your head. The issue has become more common due to SIDS research that shows that a baby should sleep on their back until at least 6 months. We've had you sleep on your back every night without any type of cushions to have you sleep at a slightly different angle each night. You've developed a flat spot on your right side. Since it is asymmetrical, the doctor is concerned.

We are looking into helmets, because as I told Sheri, "Whatever it takes to make it right, we're going to do." With the news that you may have to get a helmet and that you had a "syndrome," I was more upset than I would have guessed. I want to provide you with every opportunity possible and the environment necessary to allow you to reach your potential. I'm sure every parent feels the same way. 

That is where reality meets ideal. The reality is that these helmets are VERY expensive. I'm sure many parents have faced this with braces. Cosmetic issues aren't covered by insurance. Rest assured, we'll find a way to make sure your head is round, but what a dilemma. I'm going to work night and day so that money is not a limiting factor to your achieving your potential. I have a talent for selling houses, helping people buy the right home, speaking and writing, and helping people. That is what I will do to conquer any issues necessary to raise you as well as I can. 

Also, I have committed to writing a "Parenting For Dummies" book after my Seven Levels of Communication book is finished. There is no reason that preventable issues can't be prevented. How many other parents didn't know to have their child sleep in slightly different positions every night? How many are just glad the baby is sleeping and not worrying about his or her head? Where's the baby manual?! I read Parenting magazine, Baby Whisperer, and more, but no simple, quick-to-read manuals exist that I have found. Readers, if you have one, please let me know!

Max, you are making the world a better place just by your influence on me and your mom. You are already starting to make an impact and I'm proud you are my son. Together, we'll conquer the world. :)

To Your Success, 

Max's Dad (Michael)