Sunday, April 26, 2009

Plagiocephaly...

<-- This is not Max, but he will have to do the molding. 

Hi Max!

You are such a beautiful baby boy! You are so photogenic and happy. You are a blessing in my life. This past month, I learned a word I could have lived a lifetime without learning. Plagiocephaly is also called misshapen head and flat-head syndrome. It is caused by repeated sleeping on the same spot. It is becoming much more common now that parents are encouraged to have their babies sleep on their backs to prevent SIDS. 

On Friday afternoon, Sheri and I took you to Children's Mercy Hospital for a follow-up check-up. You had measured at 16 mm at the previous appointment. If you are under 10 mm misshapen, they call it average. If you are over 20 mm misshapen, you are prescribed a helmet. You fell in the mid-range at the first appointment and we decided to see how it was in 3 weeks. Well, on Friday, we found out you are at a 20 mm. It's getting worse. 

My heart sank for a moment upon hearing the news. I am the eternal optimist. I am the "everything happens for a reason" person. Yet, here I was, feeling down at this news. They say it is mostly curable. They say it isn't causing any brain damage at this point. They say. They say. They say. They were trying to be kind. This is a problem. It isn't normal. Luckily, they have a tool to help with correcting the mis-shapen head. It is a fitted, fiberglass helmet.  It is a molded, orthotic device to re-shape the head. 

When we were at the doctor's I put a model into your hands. You are so great. You played with it, lifted it up and down, and then looked at me and smiled. It was almost as if you were saying, "Don't worry, Daddy, I'm okay with it." I hugged you. I squeezed you tight. You are so lovable. 

This is an expensive endeavor for us. Insurance will not pay for the doctor's appointments or helmet (altogether estimated to be around $4000). That's a dent for anyone. We've had our share of medical bills over the last two years (some we're still paying on), but this is your head. I will work 24 hours per day every day of the year if that is what it takes to help you through this. If my part is to earn the money for this helmet, then I take on that challenge. I accept the challenge and will do what it takes. After all, you are going to be a fiberglass helmet model before it is all said and done. :) 

I love you my little one and this is going to be the best thing for you. 

To Your Success, 

Max's Dad (Michael)