Wednesday, July 6, 2011

How a Walk to School Can Change Everything...

Hi Max!

I am a ritualized, structured, and systematized person and I have my Sunday Night, Nightly, Pre-Leave, and Morning Rituals Click here for video of The Four Enriching Rituals. As part of the Morning Ritual, I've made a change that has many benefits.

Some questions I get about time blocking, time management, and balance evolve around doing this versus that. Family vs. Work, Family vs. Working out, TV vs. working out, social media time vs. television, etc. One of the ways to work towards a more balanced and harmonious lifestyle is to combine some of the spokes of your life wheel (instead of looking at them as mutually exclusive). The biggest one I hear is physical activity or working out. There are many ways to combine working out with other activities: while watching your favorite show, use the elliptical or a treadmill - and you can get those cheap; while working and doing phone calls, walk on a treadmill - we are seeing more of this, for family time, work out with the family. The last one is what I've started doing.

Each morning instead of dropping you off at school (by car), we are walking to school together. It's 2 miles round-trip and is a great way to start the day for me. We chat and talk about the day. It's very focused (no computer or phone) family time but also incorporates a brisk walk/physical activity. I'm glad I've been doing this. The results are already coming in...

I'm more alert during the day. I am not worried about spending time with my family. It's happened. Walking before eating burns more calories and walking in the morning burns calories throughout the day. It's an easy lifestyle change that could be done every day without adding time to my day. Walking 2 miles every morning 5 days per week is a great activity in itself. Add pushing a stroller and hearing your priceless words like, "Here comes a Mustang" like you said this morning and you have a welcome addition to the Morning Ritual.

I get to be there for the "Quantum Leap" moments. Like this morning, you said the ABC's all the way through, named every car color perfectly, and the "Here Comes a Mustang" comment was truly special. You saw the cars coming from all the way at the entrance of our community and before I even saw it you said out of the blue, "Here comes a Mustang." Sure enough, here comes a maroon Mustang down the road. Made me laugh out loud.

You are SuperSmart! :)

Love you!

Blessings,

Max's Dad (Michael)

No comments: