Saturday, July 2, 2011

Note I Wrote... Happy 4th and It's Half-time...

Hi Max!

As you know, I love my Fanpage at www.Facebook.com/SevenLevels. It's not that I love my Fanpage as such, but love the people I get to "hang out" with there. The conversations inspire me daily. So when I wrote this note for the 4th of July weekend, I got a great response. Better than anticipated. It was off-the-cuff, from-the-heart, and unedited. But passion and conviction will always overcome editing and grammatically-correct sentences. Thought I'd share what you're old dad wrote. :)

Here it is:

Hi!

Just wanted to wish you and your family a wonderful Holiday weekend! Hope the 4th of July Weekend is filled with festivites, fun, and family for you. Safe travels as well.

Blessings,

Michael

P.S. This time of year reminds me of my coaching days. "What is the least important score in sports?" I would say in the locker room. "Half-time," my team would respond. So true, nobody checks the half-time score in the paper the next morning. No, they look at the final score. They look to see who won or lost. They don't give awards, recognition, or trophies for half-time scores. There's never been a champion crowned at half-time.

We've been down 21-13 and we've been up 37-7 at half-time and my first words are the same. I've seen big leads lost and setbacks become comebacks. No matter how the first half of your year has gone - good, average, or bad... it is half-time. Now is the time to FINISH STRONG! Which is fine and well... finish strong is a great campaign slogan, rallying cry, and short movie at Simple Truths (http://www.finishstrongmovie.com/), but what does it mean to "finish strong?" The way to finish strong is execution.

Do you know why sports teams have plays and a playbook? Someone somewhere along the way figured out that with plays and a playbook a less-talented team could beat a more-talented team. That if you had a game plan and executed it well, you could beat those who didn't. Same is true in business as you know. You know what to do. Say it to yourself, "I know what to do." Because you do. You know what you need to do on a daily business to be healthier, to be more productive, and to earn more income. You do. The only difference between sitting in the seat you are now and sitting in the seat you want is one word - EXECUTION.

Execute the game plan. Instead of knowing you need to pick up the phone, pick up the phone. Instead of knowing you need to meet with people, go out and do it. Face-to-face, belly-to-belly, and in-person is how business gets done. Perhaps electronic communication has taken you off course the first half. That's okay. It happens. Now, get back on course, do what you know you know to do.

Execute to Finish Strong. It's Half-time and you've got a second half to win.

Lou Holtz said, "How you respond to the challenge in the second half will determine what you become after the game... whether you are a winner or loser."

Here's to wishing you the best second half of the year you've ever had. +m2"

Max, hope you enjoyed that. Don't know if I'll ever coach you - hope I get to one day - but this is a look back to those days. :)

Blessings,

Max's Dad (Michael)

P.S. While I was writing this, you came downstairs and gave me a hug. Awesome. Love you. :)

No comments: