Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Trust Your Gut...

Hi Max!

Wanted to tell you a little about my day. Last night was a thunder-boomer night. It was a rough one. Thunder would boom, you would cry a little, Lucky would bark a little. If it wasn't so late at night, it would have been entertaining. It was rumble, whah, whah, arf, arf. Few minutes later. Rumble, whah, whah, arf, arf. It was a melody of sorts. But it kept me up all night. I even tried a half-cup of Nyquil to put me to sleep. It seemed like I had just started off to sleep when the the alarm rang and it was time to get ready.

Getting ready, I had a haze around me and it seemed like I was taking forever to get ready. Even two cups of coffee didn't do the magic. I gave up and realized that I was probably going to be in a little bit of a funk all day.

At the team meeting I felt a little better, because I always do when I'm around positive professionals. Went and led the BNI KC Plaza at Figlio's. It was a great meeting (as always!) and even though I was a little tired, the social aspects and the positive atmosphere helped tremendously. Driving back to the office, I realized how tired I was. The 16 days of Max were catching up to me. Sitting in my office from 2 to 3:30, I made some of the most necessary calls, caught up on some e-mails, wrote a few handwritten notes, and caught myself staring out the window some. At 3:30 I headed to Avila College to lead the First Time Home Buyer Seminar for the graduating seniors. We had a good turnout and I enjoyed it. But my back started hurting and my throat was getting a twinge. Was I getting sick?

After finishing the seminar, I walked out to the car with Mike Perry (agent on our team), Chris Arrasmith (inspector), and Chad Trease (lender). It was drizzling, fifty degrees maybe, and dark. I drove home through the fog of my weariness and the rain. I had a decision to make. Do I go work out or do I go to bed?

I flopped my stuff down and headed upstairs. You and momma were relaxing in your room. I immediately pepped up a little in seeing you. I got down on the floor and put you on my legs. I played with your arms and legs for a while. I changed your diaper and being the lucky guy I am, you were only wet. I smiled and basically goofed around with you. I laid on my back and did some bench presses with you (can I count that as a work out?). You gurgled and there was the hint of a smile. My back was hurting, I was tired, it was cold and rainy outside, I was at home, and all together these were the excuses I had for not going to work out.

I started the truck and headed to the gym. A small voice inside of me pushed me out the door and got me to the gym. I warmed up. I did quads, tris, and bis. I got a terrific workout. Lots of burn and good weights, new PRs in leg press, leg extensions, and leg curls (and coming off knee surgery, that felt great). It is a good habit to get protein into your system within 90 minutes after a workout. Heading home I was wondering about just eating a protein bar and hitting the sack.

Once again, my gut told me something different. It told me that I needed carbs. So I had rigatoni and meatballs and Wheat Thins (along with the protein bar). I had two big glasses of water and a green tea (Diet Nestea). Now, I feel terrific. The carbs hit the spot, re-hydrating hit the spot, and I had a busy, satisfying day with no regrets. We got a couple of referrals, a couple of new listings, and a couple of new clients through the home buyer seminar.

Today, I seized the day. Carpe Diem. Tired or not. Energetic or not. Sick or healthy. Carpe Diem. Commitments and responsiblities will call. Answer the call.

Lessons learned today: 1) No matter how you feel, things have to get done. Period. Do it now. Do it now. Do it now. 2) Work before play. Get your work done first, then do the fun stuff. Call it the cherry on top. 3) When you are limited on time and energy, do the tough things and make the tough calls. 4) Trust your instincts. Even if your plans call for Plan A, listen to your body and mind for Plan B. 5) Always have time for family.

Another great day Max!

I can't wait for you to read these notes. Love you little guy. :)

To Your Success,

Max' Dad (Michael)

No comments: