Friday, September 12, 2008

Two months and counting...

Hi Bay-Bee;

Every 12th is a special day. Ever since March, when the calendar strikes 12 it has more significance than ever. With a due date of November 12, you have certainly heightened my awareness of a lot of things - especially the days of the month. We're looking at two months. 61 days (counting 30 for Sept and 31 for Oct). Whoo boy. :)

On the 12th of November (or thereabouts), we'll have a whole new life. What was the name of the book - Brave New World? It will be a brave new world. Priorities are going to change dramatically. YOU will be the center of my world while reading, business, writing, softball, fantasy football, BNI, speaking, etc. take a back seat - at least for a while.

It's interesting because mentally I am already preparing for this. This summer our softball team went 20-0 and we are a competitive team. I'm a competitive person, but there was something about this season that made it different than all the others. I never got outrageously upset. We certainly didn't play significantly better than in years past and I actually batted below .800 so there were times and reasons to get angry. But I never did. I did pound my bat in the ground once. I struck out once (called). I fouled out once. I haven't done those in years. I would have been FURIOUS at striking out on a called strike or fouling out. I had more COBs (long story, but it stands for Case of Beer) this year than the last four years combined. COBs are not good. I still didn't blow up. I didn't get super angry. It is like subconsciously I am being mentally prepared to re-focus my energies for Bay-Bee.

Second case in point, fantasy football. This has consumed me in the past. You should see my Excel file Draft Strategy Sheet from the last three years. Analyzed, re-analyzed, and over-analyzed as I drafted in three or 4 different leagues. This year? One league. Preparation for draft? Four hours tops. Passion rating: 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being psycho. I've hovered around 8 or 9 in the past contemplating a Fantasy Football Magazine with brother (and your uncle) Rob. I have a domain name: http://www.ffchampions.com/. I have the prerequisite e-mails to go with that domain name: Mike@FFChampions.com, Rob@FFChampions.com. If I do something, I do it 110%. It's my makeup and my natural instinct, plus my learning over the years. This year, fantasy football doesn't have the zing it did in years past. I'm being mentally prepared for the world weighing 6 to 10 ounces.

I'm ready Bay-Bee. Yet, I'm really not. I don't know what to expect. I don't know how to change a diaper or hold you properly. Mentally, I'm there. I've come to terms that time is going to be dedicated to helping you succeed in life. Competence-wise, I'm an infant. I'll do my best. I'm a quick learner and when I'm passionate about something, I choose mastery as my goal. I will master fatherhood, if that is possible. If I screw up, it won't be because I wasn't trying and it wasn't getting my attention. No father is perfect. No child is perfect. It's what happens during the mistakes that will make our relationship fruitful and rewarding. Love you bubba. :)

To Your Success,

Bay-Bee's Papa (Michael)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Michael,
Your words and thoughts are truly inspirational. I can't wait to watch you and Sheri blossom into the amazing, wonderful, caring, and loving parents that you are going to be. There is nothing in the world that compares to being a parent and the unconditional love you have for your child and I know you two will embrace that completely. So, are you free to come over and give lectures about chimps, chumps, and champs to my three :)?!
Love ya,
Angie Clauder

Max's Dad said...

Thank you Angie! You're a champ and always have been. Max and his parents find inspiration in what you juggle on a DAILY basis.

Michael (Bay-Bee's Papa)