Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's a Maher-icle!

Hi Max!

I don't throw around the word "miracle" lightly or often. I am more of a believer in "everything happens for a reason." Yesterday, I witnessed a miracle. Not just a miracle but a series of miracles. The first miracle was the miracle of birth. What an amazing experience! As a writer and a wordsmith, I would love to wax poetic about what happened, but words can't express it and would never do the emotions and feelings justice. If you are a parent who was there for the birth, you know what I am saying. If you have never been a parent, I'm sorry, I can't explain it. People say that all the time, but it's true. This overwhelming feeling of joy, wonderment, love, and compassion envelopes you in a glow that could only be described as "awesome" if that word hadn't been obliterated through overuse. The original meaning of the word was made for moments like childbirth and moments like a few moments ago.

A few minutes ago, you were lying on my chest resting comfortably. Your eyes were staring up at me between blinks. Your angelic, round face was a picture of perfection and peace. I'd never felt such love as what I feel for you. Looking down at you, you staring back up, there is an intensity, a responsibility that is bigger than anything I've experienced. Yes, we're going to have our trying moments. You'll cry. I'll get frustrated. You'll be imperfect. I'll be more imperfect. But, here's the miracle: we're in this for the long haul, thick and thin, good and bad, sickness and health, life and death. Marriage used to be an institution lasting forever. The word "marriage" used to mean "forever". Marriage has been watered down by those who look at it as a weapon of manipulation, a ploy for publicity, or a financial windfall. But parenting IS forever.

You are a miracle, Max. God's greatest miracle. God's greatest masterpiece. You are a special boy and mean the world to me.

To Your Success,

Max' Papa (Michael)

No comments: