Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Board of Education and My Seat of Learning...

Hi Bay-Bee!

I feel you kicking! I know you are anxious to get out of there and stretch your legs, but just wait 85 more days! Mama and Papa are anxious as well.

Tim Chin and I had our weekly radio show, Bizz Buzz Live (see more and listen Live at http://www.bizzbuzzlive.com/) today. I look forward to this every Saturday. Sometimes it is because of the guests or the topics, but it's always because of Tim's great stories. His father made a big impact on him with something that could have made a big impact on him. :)

His father had a hobby of wood working to go with his preaching and teaching. One day, Tim's father shaped a piece of wood into a flat paddle shape. Easy to hold at one end and complete with air holes to decrease air resistance, this board was made for paddling. The engraving said it all, Board of Education. Tim's father would say that if he had any problems with Tim that he was going to apply the Board of Education to Tim's Seat of Learning. To emphasize the threat, Tim's father was smart enough to hang this paddle by the back door where the kids would exit to play ball or head to school. Tim's father was a wise man. Tim says that his father very rarely had to go to the Board of Education.

My brother, Brian, made a similar paddle. It was baseball bat shaped, except thinner. It also had air holes for speed. My brother made this of course after he had learned a few lessons. He made it for my brother, Rob, and me. Wasn't that nice? My brother also had an inscription on this board. It said "SCRAM". My father thankfully never had to use this board because I would have had a heck of tattoo to explain in gym class! SCRAM on my backside would take some explaining. Ouch!

We're going to try to get by without spanking. There are a lot of debates out there - spanking vs. not spanking, the best ways to discipline, reward vs. punishment, re-direct vs. directly correcting, etc. I honestly don't know which way to go, but if our time with Patrick is any indication, it will be by directly correcting and then discussion. Takes patience, but is more in line with my personality. We'll see. Which way do you think is the best way to get a child to behave?

To Your Success,

Bay-Bee's Papa (Michael)

No comments: