Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Importance of Books... A Love of Reading!

Hi Max!

I want to tell you about a love of my life. A love of my life is reading books. I read three or four books per week. And I don't read them, I devour them. I respect them (still don't write in books to this day). I have so much respect for books. You can't always be with your friends - and I truly believe that the biggest influence in your life will be who you associate with and spend your time around. The next biggest influence will be the books you read. I love books - reading may be the most important talent you can learn in school. Reading and learning. Max, become a great reader.

Here is what one of the most influential leaders had to say about books and this is why we will also incorporate an allowance system similar to Mr. Maxwell. You are not necessarily named after John Maxwell, but it did have an influence on our choice of Maxwell over Max. Here is his video:

Reading is different then watching videos or watching TV. You can learn from those, but it doesn't take any imagination. Books allow you to fill in the gaps with your imagination. I've hard Imagi-Nation referred to as the most powerful nation in the world. Einstein said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we NOW know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world and all there ever will be to know and understand." You get imagination from reading books - it triggers, hones, and broadens your imagination. Like a light into a prism that is splayed into all its glory - who knew that light was actually all colors - a book adds color to your imagination, thoughts, dreams, and ideas.

I love books. I love you. I can't wait to go over books that we are reading. I can't wait. Amazingly, you'll be reading soon - it wouldn't surprise me if you read at 4 years old. I won't push you, but you already have your daddy's love for books. Today, you played with your books like they were cars. You open them like you can read them. Great to share this love with you Max.

With Love and To Your Success,

Max's Dad (Michael)