Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Ride Home After the Game...

Hi Max!

I know I know... why so soon!? :) I was inspired to post a little faster than normal by Tammy Richards. Tammy and I graduated from Gardner-Edgerton High School together in 1987. She married my across-street neighbor Tim Richards, who also graduated with us. Great people and they are raising great kids. One of the reasons why is because of what they are reading - and then applying with their kids. Here's what Tammy recently wrote on Facebook:

The Ride Home
by Tammy Richards on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 10:16pm
This is part of the last chapter in a book I just finish. The book is written from a baseball perspective, but his advise goes for any sport or activity your kids are involved in. My timing in reading it could not have been better. In the last few weeks I have had a chance to ride home with the boys after baseball games. Some had gone well, and others not so much. I love baseball, so I always enjoy reliving parts of the game with them. I want my boys to remember the ride home as one of the best parts of the game. I felt it was worth sharing, so here you go. Enjoy!

Don't make the mistake of being a critic on the ride home, stewing over a loss or making too much of a victory. This is the time to let your kid know how great they are, regardless of the way they played. That they're valuable to you, and that you're glad they're your kid. It's a time of encouragement. A time to soak in your kid's kid-ness. I've said it all throughout this book, the time goes by too, too quickly to make it anything but fun. Your kids will figure out life along the way. They'll figure our the fundamentals of the game.

And one day, you'll drop that kid off somewhere- college, most likely- and then you'll ride home by yourself. And you'll miss those rides home, and you'll either wish you'd made the most of them, or you'll be thankful that you used that time wisely.

Every message your send is received. Make the ride home the best part of the game.
Bill Severns, Keepers of the Sandlot

Max, I thought you would love that and I look forward to sharing many rides home after games and celebrating your successes. After all love is spelled T I M E.

With Love and To Your Success,

Max's Dad (Michael)